Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: im not sure what to say about this

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Inactive Member BlueWahooChambordDevil's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 30th, 2007
    Posts
    7,204
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    im not sure what to say about this

    Beheaded Snake Sends Man to Hospital

    PROSSER, Wash. (Aug. 9) -- Turns out, even beheaded rattlesnakes can be dangerous. That's what 53-year-old Danny Anderson learned as he was feeding his horses Monday night, when a 5-foot rattler slithered onto his central Washington property, about 50 miles southeast of Yakima.

    Anderson and his 27-year-old son, Benjamin, pinned the snake with an irrigation pipe and cut off its head with a shovel. A few more strikes to the head left it sitting under a pickup truck.

    "When I reached down to pick up the head, it raised around and did a backflip almost, and bit my finger," Anderson said. "I had to shake my hand real hard to get it to let loose."

    His wife insisted they go to the hospital, and by the time they arrived at Prosser Memorial Hospital 10 minutes later, Anderson's tongue was swollen and the venom was spreading. He then was taken by ambulance 30 miles to a Richland hospital to get the full series of six shots he needed.

    The snake head ended up in the bed of his pickup, and Anderson landed in the hospital until Wednesday afternoon.

    Mike Livingston, a Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife biologist, said the area where the Anderson's live is near prime snake habitat. But he said he had never heard of anyone being bit by a decapitated snake before.

    "That's really surprising but that's an important thing to tell people," he said. "It may have been just a reflex on the part of the snake."

    If another rattlesnake comes along, Anderson said he'll likely try to kill it again, but said he'll grab a shovel and bury it right there.

    "It still gives me the creeps to think that son-of-a-gun could do that," he said
    [img]http://inlinethumb10.webshots.com/5577/2061259960091622927S425x425Q85.jpg[/img]
    [img]http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_6s6CdLQRCP0/SREpSZXb99I/AAAAAAAAATU/3O3G-P2Jqkc/s400/tombstone.jpg[/img]

  2. #2
    Inactive Member UTVols2's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 17th, 2006
    Posts
    5,601
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: im not sure what to say about this

    I am scared to death of a live snake, now I have to be scared of one I killed too.
    [IMG]http://www.gifsoup.com/view/926256/tennessee-vols-al-wilson-o.gif[/IMG]

  3. #3
    Inactive Member BlueWahooChambordDevil's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 30th, 2007
    Posts
    7,204
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: im not sure what to say about this

    i hate snakes.......im glad i dont live in an area where we have to worry about any poisonous ones roaming around
    [img]http://inlinethumb10.webshots.com/5577/2061259960091622927S425x425Q85.jpg[/img]
    [img]http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_6s6CdLQRCP0/SREpSZXb99I/AAAAAAAAATU/3O3G-P2Jqkc/s400/tombstone.jpg[/img]

  4. #4
    Inactive Member 1inStripes's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 25th, 2002
    Posts
    12,052
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: im not sure what to say about this

    Any moron that has "killed" a snake knows it still has some reflects at the head even if it has been cut apart. I have milked copperheads on wood just to see how much venom they have after severing them.
    "Call me crazy, but I want to buy the Dallas Cowboys end zone and have the star right at the foot of my bed. That way when I score, I can spike the ball right on the star!" -Woody Paige, Around the Horn 10.9.08

  5. #5
    Inactive Member BlueWahooChambordDevil's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 30th, 2007
    Posts
    7,204
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: im not sure what to say about this

    <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1inStripes</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have milked copperheads on wood just to see how much venom they have after severing them. </div></div>
    im not sure what to say about that either

    first of all how does one "milk" a snake

    secondly why dont you have a hobby??

    third how much venom do they have?
    [img]http://inlinethumb10.webshots.com/5577/2061259960091622927S425x425Q85.jpg[/img]
    [img]http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_6s6CdLQRCP0/SREpSZXb99I/AAAAAAAAATU/3O3G-P2Jqkc/s400/tombstone.jpg[/img]

  6. #6
    Inactive Member 1inStripes's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 25th, 2002
    Posts
    12,052
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: im not sure what to say about this

    Milking is what its called to extract their venom. I took a shovel, and held it to the back of the snakes head. Then took a thin piece of wood and let the snake strike it. They generally will latch on the venom will run out onto the stick. As for how much, well, I didn't measure it, but its definitely enough to get you in trouble I would guess. Probably an ouce or two.

    Its not like I do it all the time, although I have known a couple of fellers who were trappers that also caught snakes and kept at the house all the time. I have done it like twice when I was younger. There's lots of copperheads around my parents house, and one of my grandparents.
    "Call me crazy, but I want to buy the Dallas Cowboys end zone and have the star right at the foot of my bed. That way when I score, I can spike the ball right on the star!" -Woody Paige, Around the Horn 10.9.08

  7. #7
    Inactive Member imported_MoonlightGraham's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 6th, 2004
    Posts
    2,142
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: im not sure what to say about this

    <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BlueWahooChambor</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

    first of all how does one "milk" a snake
    </div></div>

    "oh you can milk anything with nipples."
    [img]http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i42/stinmeister/untitled-2.jpg[/img]

  8. #8
    Inactive Member vikescoach's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 7th, 2004
    Posts
    841
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: im not sure what to say about this

    Where do you live? There are copperheads in this area, and some say a few water mocs. Yes, there are some poisonious snakes in our area.
    "One must strive for perfection to achieve excellence." Don Shula

  9. #9
    Inactive Member CoeburnCane's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 24th, 2004
    Posts
    4,931
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: im not sure what to say about this

    <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: luvhoops</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Where do you live? There are copperheads in this area, and some say a few water mocs. Yes, there are some poisonious snakes in our area.</div></div>

    Dude's from New Jersey man.
    [U][COLOR=#22229c][IMG]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b242/btketron/miami-med.gif[/IMG][IMG]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b242/btketron/nohokie-med.gif[/IMG][/COLOR][/U]
    [U][COLOR=#22229c][IMG]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b242/btketron/Funny/owmyballs.gif[/IMG][/COLOR][/U]

  10. #10
    Inactive Member 1inStripes's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 25th, 2002
    Posts
    12,052
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: im not sure what to say about this

    Yeh, the closest thing to a poisonous snake up there is when he has cottonmouth.
    "Call me crazy, but I want to buy the Dallas Cowboys end zone and have the star right at the foot of my bed. That way when I score, I can spike the ball right on the star!" -Woody Paige, Around the Horn 10.9.08

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •